Monday, October 03, 2005

CALLING FROM MECCA

last night around 9:30 p.m. i got a call from my dear friend, cheryl and this is what she said: "we just drove through mecca and now we're at the hotel." i couldn't for the life of me figure out where this mecca might be of which she spoke. "bob jones- it's almost surreal." she said in a sleep-deprived, driving all day, mommy of two, wife of one kind of voice. it cracked me up. i met this girl my first week in college. i was sitting lonely on one of the horridly upholstered couches in the dorm lobby and she pranced right up to me and said, " you look like you could use a friend." and she was right- i felt lost and lonely. so she became my friend and has stayed true to that ever since. so that is why she is beautiful enough to call me on a sunday evening to share that she was returning to the place that brought her from indiana and me from ohio and made us friends. she said she was old (never) and that she wouldn't know anyone (possibly- it HAS been almost 10 years); but what made me smile is that she's still thinking of me after all these years. that is a true friend. thanks cheryl. i hope she has fun frolicking through the green grass and around the fountain and in performance hall. mecca- what a riot! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger elea said...

i am a card carrying resident of mecca....weird to hear it called that even tounge in cheek....

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home