Tuesday, November 08, 2005

BASKET HUGGERS

this little bit of story is for erinlea but everyone else is welcome to read and ponder. here is my view of peter's water walk.

you have 12 men who have just seen Jesus take two hard biscuits and little salty fish and feed 5,000 men plus women plus children. there are 12 baskets of food left (no coincidence, i might add) and each disciple gets his basket of left-overs and climbs aboard the boat. each man had to be on a spiritual high. each man had to be relishing the fact that not only did God provide but He gave them more than enough. enough so that each man could look down into his basket and remember exactly what God had done just minutes ago. enough so that not only were their stomachs full but their hands were full as well. enough so that it wasn't just a wonderful memory, it was a tangible, smellible, seeable, edible miracle. so this storm comes and the boat gets a little rocky and the waves sweep over the deck and their baskets of loaves and fishes get a little soggy. suddenly what was one moment ago something to remind them of God's power became a life preserver. in the blink of an eye, what they were given as a symbol of God's provision, God's love, God's goodness became just another old dirty basket full of stinky fish and hard bread. and peter looked at these guys and he looked down into his basket and thought " i don't want to be like them. don't they remember? i want to be like Jesus." and here comes the Savior walking the waves and peter says "yes! that's what i'm talking about." most say peter was being a show-off. i just think he remembered what he had recently witnessed on the hillside. i think he was soaking in the power of God. most people say that peter had no faith- falling in the water like that. but at least he got out of the boat. he put his basket down and walked to Jesus.

you got out of the boat. you had your basket. you saw His power. you got out of the boat. don't get back in. all that is on that ship are people who have forgotten the promise and are fearfully clinging to their "baskets". you might fall in the tumultuous sea, but God is there to lift you back out. i am praying for you.

2 Comments:

Blogger elea said...

thanks for this....i'm thinking....i think my resignation to singleness has been the basket. the LORD has had me there for the last 4 years, and i've been content. He's shown me that there is nothing wrong with me. that i am not a broken servant 'cuz i can't just "get it together" and find me a husband! i really reveled in that idea. that this was what He had for me, and possibly for the rest of my life. i was good with that. i was enjoying my basket of goodies that were served up daily. it was safe. then when all this started, i felt like "ok, GOD, do you want me to want this now? i'm good, and when i start wanting this, i won't be so good you know!" so i resisted wanting it, and GOD (as He is wont to do) forced my hand open. i abandoned myself, and decided to pray for it--in a BIG way! i was having a great spiritual high outside of the boat. Satan attacked, and then i looked down. i've wondered if i've made a mistake in believing all this stuff GOD has shown me! am i just making it up? i know that sounds heretical, but i'm thinking it, and it's not like GOD can't hear me.....my only choice is to focus on truth. none of this is rational, and i think i'm trying to rationalize it all. i keep thinking: "if i could just get my mind around this, then i could figure it out" (read figure out how not to get hurt. read figure out how to keep from having to give all.) i always end up asking myself: "how far can i go without getting hurt." i know that's what i'm doing now. how far can i go with the LORD and not get hurt? when do i start to steel myself against the emotions, and laugh my way through it (my face for the world)? when do i settle and resign myself to "whatever" because i won't get nearly as hurt. mom just reminded me the other day about how the LORD had taught me to feel (not that i didn't feel before--you know i did--i just refused to own my feelings), and how i shouldn't go back. how much healthier it is this way. how GOD can use me when i abandon this to Him. i'm being tempted go back....this feeling is embarassing. i feel like a fool (that's the temptation talking!).

ok: ramble, ramble, ramble...

you know when i get a thing in my head (life) it consumes me...that's embarassing too. i'm just thankful for friends who let me be obsessive...

12:50 PM  
Blogger elea said...

oh--my--word!
i hate the drama!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home